1. Rinse faba beans under warm water. Place into a saucepan along with the diced onion, garlic and 2lt of water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until beans tender. Strain reserving the liquid. Place into food processor and blend with the 125ml of olive oil and the sherry vinegar until smooth. Adjust consistency with some of the reserved liquid until the consistency of semi whipped cream. Season to taste. Place into a bowl and cover until required.
2. Place the sliced brown onion, baby capers and 200ml of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan. Cook over a medium to low heat until onions soft and a deep golden colour. Finish with white wine vinegar and season to taste. Keep aside.
3. Pre-heat fan forced oven to 250°c.
4. Wash the octopus under cold water. Pat dry and place onto a baking tray. Drizzle with the 50ml of olive oil and rub all over the octopus. Line the legs up so that they are straight. Bake at 250°c for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Pre-heat bbq. Grill the octopus over a medium heat for approx. 4 minutes on each side until the excess skin on the legs is crispy. Place back into roasting tray to rest in the cooking juices. Rest for further 5 minutes.
6.Spoon faba into serving dish. Top with the braised onions. Slice the octopus, toss back through resting tray juices and then arrange on top of the fava
Serves 8 as a meze