- 100g Mt Zero French Style Fine Green Lentils
- 20g Onion (diced)
- 20g Carrot (finely diced)
- 20g Celery (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 400mL vegetable stock (boiling)
- 20g chicken stock reduction
- 10g cultured butter
- 10g flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 200g Venison trim (minced)
- 125g Venison heart (minced)
- 100g Venison liver (minced)
- 125g Pork back fat (minced)
- 1g Coriander seed (toasted & ground)
- 1g Cumin seed (toasted & ground)
- ½ shallot (finely diced)
- ½ clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 small dash of Port
- ½ egg, whisked
- 25g rolled oats
- 25g flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 3 stems of fresh thyme (stripped)
- 4g salt
- 3g ground native pepper
- 50g caul fat
- Soak the lentils overnight in water. Strain all the water before you start to cook.
- Heat up a large pan, then sweat the onion and garlic.
- Add carrot and celery, then cook for 1 minute with no colour, lightly seasoning.
- Add lentils and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock to just cover the lentils, and gently cook until the lentils are al dente (adding more stock as needed).
- Finish with chicken stock reduction, parsley and butter.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Soak caul fat in water for 2 to 3 hours.
- Combine all other ingredients well, and weight out portions of approximately 100g.
- Remove the caul fat from the water – try to get as much water out as possible, then open it up gently.
- Add the pre-portioned venison ball on top of the caul fat and wrap up
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then rest for 5 minutes.