1 cup plain flour (160g)*
1 cup wholemeal flour (160g)
1 cup water (200ml)*
1 tbsp Mount Zero Sunshine Honey
Extra Mount Zero Pink Lake Salt, for sprinkling
Maaryasha Werdiger - Zelda Bakery, Serves 4
1. Mix flour, salt, water, oil and honey together in a bowl until it comes together and forms a dough-like ball.
Note: Add water if you struggle to get all the flour mixed in with the liquid. the dough should feel firm and should not be sticky, or dry, and crumbly either.
2. Cover the dough in oil, then cover in glad wrap and set aside in the fridge to rest for minimum 30 minutes, maximum a day.
3. Once rested, flour your benchtop, take the dough out of the fridge and onto the bench. Start rolling the dough out with a rolling pin, gently forming a thin rectangle. Roll it as thin as possible without tearing the dough.
Tip: Add flour if you need to stop the rolling pin sticking.
4. Once rolled out thin, brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle the za'atar and extra salt all over the rolled out dough; flavour as desired but we recommend sparingly.
5. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into crackers the size and shape you like.
6. Transfer each cracker to a baking tray lined with baking paper spaced evenly.
Tip: if you have available polenta, sprinkle a little onto the paper for extra crunch but you don’t need to.
7. Bake for 10-15 min on 180C. Smaller and thinner crackers will cook faster than thicker or bigger crackers, so adjust baking time accordingly. Enjoy!
They last in a container for a couple of days but if they go soft, just crisp them back up in the oven!
For experienced bakers* replace the cup of plain flour and water with a sourdough starter if desired.